Blog search




The visit of my cousins
Friday, March 30, two of my cousins ​​came to visit me in Greece. Their plane arrived at 1:45 in the morning in Thessaloniki and we had no place to sleep that night, we went out in the center of the city.
In the morning we took a bus to Volos. Once we found a hotel and joined a friend volunteered to show us the city. After a good night’s rest, we left at 10am 00 to rent a car and take the direction of Meteora. It was beautiful. It was impressive to see the monasteries on top of large rocky peaks with smooth walls. We visited two monasteries and after many pictures, we returned to Volos, took a bus to Thessaloniki where we spent the night.
The next day, Sunday, April 1, we took a train to Edessa and took a taxi to Vrita where we spent a day off. We stayed until Wednesday, April 4 Vrita because I worked during that time (including a festival in Edessa). In particular, we encountered two other volunteers who will live with us: two French.

Then in the afternoon we returned to Thessaloniki and took a train overnight to Athens.
After spending an hour at the hospital (discomfort in the train), me and my friends went to rest in other volunteer friends living in Athens, and after a morning of rest, I made them visited the notable site of the capital. So we went to the Acropolis, Monasteriki, Gazi, Syntagma … And at a restaurant overlooking the Acropolis and have spent the evening in Athens.
Friday, April 6 was very quiet because the night was rude. This also marked the start of my cousins ​​in the afternoon towards Thessaloniki to return to France. I stayed in the apartment of my friends because the next day, was expecting a long journey.

Saturday, April 7 marked my journey for five days in Istanbul. I joined a group of volunteers who are living in Kalamata and we waited the bus near the Acropolis. We were twelve volunteers to leave for Turkey
Start: 16h 30 p.m
Arrived: 06h 30 a.m
Once in the vast city (Istanbul area equal to Holland and its population is slightly higher than Greece) we took a bus to Taxim, a lively area in central Istanbul, to find our hostel. Then we spent our first day visiting the center of Istanbul to learn about places. We visited two mosques, including the Blue Mosque which are open to the public, although it must remove shoes and put a veil on her head for women. We then returned to Taxim to return to the hostel.
The next day (Monday, April 9), we spent the day visiting the great and the small bazaar. The Grand Bazaar is quite impressive: it is a large building with many small stalls who are selling lamps, musical instruments, carpets, clothes, jewelry and other tourists catch. It is expensive but the advantage is that Turkey can negotiate prices. In the afternoon we went to the small bazaar. It’s the same principle as the big bazaar but they sell spices, sweets, perfumes … After the bazaar, we visited the Topkapi palace. It was the old castle of the sultans is now a museum. Although the castle itself is beautiful and impressive, the museum is not really interesting, not attractive enough.
Tuesday’s program was very easy for me because I was sick. So I did not move from the hostel that day …
I was able to catch up Wednesday, April 11. We decided to take a ride on the Asian side of Istanbul. That day I met a correspondent who lives in Istanbul with whom I talk on the internet for two years. My correspondent has served as a guide in the morning and she showed us the summer residence of the sultans, a very luxurious building built in the eighteenth century. For lunch we ate at a restaurant and visited a commercial district. Then in the afternoon we went to a park that offered us a magnificent view over a large part of Istanbul. Then at night I joined my friend volunteer from  Volos who joined us for the rest of our trip to Istanbul.
Thursday, April 12, Claire (the volunteer from Volos) and me were at the Hagia Sophia mosque, one of the seven wonders of the world. It was very impressive, we have rent a camera to tell the story of laughed. Leave to visit a place as significant, as is documenting its history. I then brought the bazaar because she wanted to go. In the afternoon we joined my correspondent in Kabatas to take a boat and join the rest of the group to Princess Islands. It was a beautiful island where the means of transport was horse or bicycle. We have picnics and a short tour by going to the highest point of the island. It was a beautiful day. I’ve said my goodbyes with my correspondent, and thanked her for her kindness.
Friday, April 13, Claire and me went back to the center of Istanbul and spend our last day because my bus was at 18h in the afternoon. So we did shopping and capitalized in the sun for two hours in a bar where you could smoke a hookah and drinking tea. Once returned to the hostel and said goodbye to everyone (because I will never see more some of them …) I went with a heavy heart to the bus station to return to Athens to join my parents who await me.

Visit of my parents
Tired from my 14 hour bus ride, I met my parents and my brother in Athens who had already started their holiday without me. We slept in a apartments for tourists. Saturday has been quiet for me and then we were happy to meet itch other after 4 ½ months of volunteering. We’re just merely a short walk in the park of the parliament. Athens was very quiet because it was the period of Easter, and for the Orthodox it’s corresponding to the period of Christmas for Christians. Therefore all Greeks were at home with family. Only the tourists were out.
We have not done many things Sunday, April 15 because it was still Passover. The stores were closed, people were out so I decided to visit some friends living in Athens with my parents.
On Monday we got up early to catch a boat to the island of Eagina. After 1h 30 crossing we visited the harbor, ate something and then we rented two scooters to make a tour of the island. This was  a good time. Then around 18h ​​00 we took the boat back to Athens and have eaten a last meal together at the restaurant.
My parents and my brother left the next afternoon, I stayed a night with friends last Wednesday, April 17 and I left for Vrita.


La visite de mes cousins

Le vendredi 30 mars, deux de mes cousins sont venus me rendre visite en Grèce. Leur avion est arrivé à 1h45 du matin à Thessaloniki et n’ayant pas d’endroits où dormir cette nuit là, nous sommes sortie dans le centre de la ville.

Le matin nous avons pris un bus pour Volos. Une fois arrivé nous avons trouvé un hôtel et rejoint une amie volontaire pour nous montrer la ville. Après une bonne nuit de repos, nous sommes partis à 10h 00 pour louer une voiture et prendre la direction des Meteora. C’était magnifique. C’était impressionnant de voir des monastères en haut de grand pitons rocheux aux parois lisses. Après avoir visité deux monastères et pris beaucoup de photos nous sommes rentrés à Volos, pris un bus pour Thessaloniki où nous avons passé la nuit.

Le lendemain, le dimanche 1er avril, nous avons pris un train pour Edessa et pris un taxi pour Vrita où nous avons passé une journée de repos. Nous sommes resté à Vrita jusqu’au mercredi 4 avril car je travaillais pendant ce temps (notamment un festival à Edessa). Nous avons notamment rencontrés les deux autres volontaires qui  vivront avec nous: deux françaises. Puis durant l’après midi nous sommes retourné à Thessaloniki et pris un train pendant la nuit en direction d’Athènes.

Après avoir passé une heure à l’hôpital (malaise dans le train), moi et mes amis sommes allés se reposer chez d’autres amis volontaires vivant à Athènes, et après une matinée de repos, je leur ai fait visité les lieux notables de la capitale. Nous sommes donc allés à l’Acropole, Monasteriki, Gazi, Syntagma … Et avons mangé dans un restaurant avec vue sur l’Acropole et avons passés la soirée à Athènes.

Le vendredi 6 avril fut très calme car la nuit fut rude. Cela marqua aussi le départ de mes cousins dans l’après midi en direction de Thessaloniki pour retourner en France. Je resta dans l’appartement de mes amis car le lendemain, un long voyage m’attendais.


Le samedi 7 avril marqua mon voyage pour cinq jours à Istanbul. Je rejoignis un groupe de volontaires vivant à Kalamata pour attendre le bus près de l’Acropole. Nous étions douze volontaires à partir pour la Turquie

Départ: 16h 30 p.m

Arrivé: 06h 30 a.m

Une fois arrivé dans l’immense cité (la superficie d’Istanbul égale la Hollande et sa population est légèrement supérieur à celle de la Grèce) nous avons pris un bus pour Taxim, un quartier animé dans le centre d’Istanbul, pour trouver notre hostel. Puis nous avons passé notre première journée à visiter le centre d’Istanbul pour prendre connaissance des lieux. Nous avons visité deux mosquées dont la mosquée bleue qui sont ouverte au public, bien qu’il faille enlever des chaussures et mettre un voile sur la tête pour les femmes. Nous sommes ensuite retourné à Taxim pour retourner à l’hostel.

Le lendemain (lundi 9 avril), nous avons passé la journée à visité le grand et le petit bazar. Le grand bazar est assez impressionnant: c’est une grand bâtiment avec de nombreuses petites échoppes qui vendent des lampes, des instruments de musiques, des tapis, des habits, des bijoux et autres attrapent touristes. C’est chère mais l’avantage en Turquie c’est que l’on peut négocier les prix. L’après midi nous avons été au petit bazar. C’est le même principe que le grand sauf que les échoppes s’orientent plus à la vente d’épices, de sucreries, de parfums … Après les bazar, nous avons visité le château de Topkapi. C’était l’ancien château des sultans qui est désormais un musée. Bien que le château en lui même est magnifique et impressionnant, le musée n’est pas réellement intéressant, pas assez attractif.

Le programme du mardi fut très simple pour moi car j’ai été malade. Je n’ai donc pas bougé de l’hostel ce jour là …

J’ai pu me rattraper le mercredi 11 avril. Nous avions décidé de faire un tour dans la partie asiatique d’Istanbul. Ce jour là j’ai pu rencontrer une correspondante qui vie à Istanbul avec qui je parle sur internet depuis deux ans. Ma correspondante nous a servis de guide et le matin elle nous a montrée la résidence d’été des sultans, un bâtiment très luxueux construit au XVIIIème siècle. Le midi, nous avons mangé dans un restaurant et visité un quartier commerciale. Puis l’après midi nous sommes allés dans un parc qui nous offraient une vue magnifique sur une grande partie d’Istanbul. Puis le soir j’ai rejoint mon amie volontaire de Volos qui nous a rejoint pour le reste de notre voyage à Istanbul.

Le jeudi 12 avril, Claire (la volontaire de Volos) et moi avons été à la mosquée Sainte Sophie, l’une des sept merveilles du monde. C’était très impressionnant, nous a avons louer un appareil pour raconter l’histoire de la moquée. Quitte à visiter un lieu aussi notable, autant se documenter sur son histoire. Je l’ai ensuite amené au grand bazar car elle voulait y aller. Durant l’après midi nous avons rejoint ma correspondante a Kabatas pour prendre une férie et rejoindre le reste du groupe aux Iles Princesses. C’était une ile magnifique où les moyens de transports étaient  cheval ou à vélo. Nous y avons pique niqués et fait un petit tour en allant au point le plus haut de l’ile. Ca a été une très belle journée. J’y ai fait mes adieux avec ma correspondante et l’ai remercié de sa gentillesse.

Le vendredi 13 avril, Claire et moi sommes retournés dans le centre d’Istanbul pour y passer notre dernière journée car mon bus était à 18h 00 de l’après midi. Nous avons donc fais les magasins et profités pendant deux heures au soleil dans un bar où l’on pouvait fumer un narguilé et boire du thé. Une fois retourné à l’hostel, et fait mes adieux à tout le monde (car je ne reverrai surement plus certains d’entre eux …) je suis allé, le cœur lourd à la station de bus pour retourner à Athènes pour rejoindre mes parents qui m’y attendent.

Visite de mes parents

Fatigué par mes 14 heures de bus, je rencontra mes parents et mon frère à Athènes qui avaient déjà commencés leurs vacances sans moi. Nous avons dormis chez une personne qui loue des appartements pour les touristes. Le samedi a donc été calme pour moi et puis nous étions heureux de nous retrouver après 4 mois et demi de volontariat. Nous nous sommes juste contenté d’une petite marche dans le parc du parlement. Athènes était très calme car c’était la période de pâque, et pour les orthodoxes cela correspondant à la période de noël pour les chrétiens. Donc tous les grecs étaient chez eux en famille. Seuls les touristes étaient dehors.

Nous n’avons pas fait beaucoup de choses le dimanche 15 avril car c’était encore pâque. Les magasins étaient fermés, personnes n’étaient dehors donc j’ai décidé de rendre visite à des amies vivants à Athènes en compagnie de mes parents.

Le lundi nous nous sommes levé tôt pour prendre un bateau en direction de l’ile d’Eagina. Après 1h 30 de traversée nous avons visité le port, mangé quelque chose puis nous avons loués deux scooters pour faire le tour de l’ile. C’est un agréable moment. Puis vers 18h 00 nous avons repris le bateau pour retourner à Athènes et avons mangés un dernier repas ensemble au restaurant.

Mes parents et mon frère sont partis le lendemain après midi, je suis resté une dernière nuit chez des amis et le mercredi 17 avril je suis repartis pour Vrita.